Recent comments

• So, how long until eleven year old mothers become the norm?   18 hours 11 min ago

Granny is only 27, so presumably the girl is following  family tradition.

Talking of sex education, I am still traumatised from 10 years ago when I had to attend 4 days of staff training at a college of education where  I was employed.   One of the sessions in this 4 day waste-of-a-precious-Easter-break included a sex education lesson that could be taught to our students .   As this was a college of further education where  most students would be over 16, my first thoughts were “what could we possibly teach them that they don’t already know?”

As it turns out, absolutely nothing but confusion and embarrassment.  Picture the scene,  thirty or so teachers, some new to the profession, others, like myself with years of experience, put into 3 groups.  Members of two of the groups were asked, well actually told quite emphatically, to wear either a red or a green baseball cap. They were peculiarly fond of baseball caps on this course – we were ordered to wear them several times during the week when we were pretending to be students.

There was no room for negotiation with these particular trainers.  Presumably they had developed this autocratic style of teaching, whilst trying to convince their trainees that they needed to be more learner-centred in their own classes, because of the reluctance of the said trainees to engage in such nonsense.

One poor individual had to stand in the middle of the room, while the third (hatless) group joined hands around her.  Those with the green baseball caps were asked to  stand in two lines facing each other and form a corridor which lead to those aforementioned grown men and women who looked for all the world like they were playing the saddest ever game of ring-a-ring-a-rosy.   The red baseball cap wearers were then asked to go outside of the room and await further instruction.  Those of us left in the room were told that when they came back into the room, they would run down the human corridor and break the circle to reach the person standing in the middle.  Those holding hands must try to stop them gaining access to the person in the middle.

While the trainer went out of the room to instruct the others on what they had to do, one of the teachers was heard to mutter “for God’s sake let’s just get this over and done with quickly” - a sentiment that her colleagues were more than happy to agree with.

When the, mostly middle aged, baseball cap wearers came into the room, giving a rather lacklustre interpretation  of how sperm perform (for that is what they were supposed to be) and ran through the human corridor (which was, yes you have guessed it, supposed to be the vagina) with some half-hearted noises that they had been instructed to make to show how aggressive these dastardly little sperms are, they met very little resistance from the human ring and the first one got through the barrier and met up with the teacher in the middle.

We all breathed a sigh of relief and the trainer congratulated us on having demonstrated how to teach using the brilliant technique of “whole body learning”.  I would have thought that youngsters could suggest a much better way of using their whole bodies to learn this particular subject. Whole body?  Excruciatingly embarrassing load of nonsense that did nothing that could not be illustrated much more effectively with a whiteboard and a marker pen.   If this is what passes for sex education, no wonder 12 year olds are getting preggers!

• Yr1 TV assessment deadline   1 week 2 days ago

Basically what Sarah said. You're not supposed to do a piece to camera, which means you being filmed talking to the camera. You learn how to do that properly in second year.

Instead you record links on an edirol and put them over video of whatever your story is.

• Yr1 TV assessment deadline   1 week 2 days ago

Meaning you shouldn't shoot yourself looking directly down the camera, presenting. Instead we need to record the voice over on an ediroll and put that onto final cut (like how we did for radio). Hope that makes sense :)

• Yr1 TV assessment deadline   1 week 3 days ago

What does this even mean?!

1) It should not have both a piece to camera?
    2) It should use VO?

Confused is not the word.

• South China Morning Post Internship Opportunities   2 weeks 23 hours ago

Hi Jemma, I just received an offer from SCMP and am delighted to know I will be one of their interns this summer! :) Can you please tell me more about your experience there?

• Parliament and Sky News trip - March 4   7 weeks 4 days ago

I can't give a specific end time, but I'd guess at around 1ish. You should be able to make it back by 3pm, if that's any help.

• Parliament and Sky News trip - March 4   7 weeks 5 days ago

Are classes going ahead as usual on Tuesday afternoon? There appears to be no end time and therefore, no way to guarantee getting back at a certain time.

• Parliament and Sky News trip - March 4   8 weeks 1 hour ago

I can't believe that was a year ago!

• Conor Diggin is the Bob Friend Sky News Scholar for 2014   9 weeks 1 day ago

Well done, Conor. I heard your presentation was very impressive. Congratulations! Richard

• Conor Diggin is the Bob Friend Sky News Scholar for 2014   9 weeks 1 day ago

Congratulations Conor, and everyone else that entered!

• BBC Journalism Trainee Scheme now with extended deadline of 17 February   9 weeks 2 days ago

Do you think they've not had enough quality applications? Hoping that's the case ;)

• White Proverbs   9 weeks 6 days ago

Oooh girl, I love this. So so true.

• I talked with Brown Moses about the changing face of newsgathering   10 weeks 21 hours ago

Eliot is also about to launch a new website for open investigative journalism using “open-source information”. Bellingcat will act as a central hub for the broader ideas of open journalism rather than just his work on Syria.

• I talked with Brown Moses about the changing face of newsgathering   10 weeks 1 day ago

Yes, you are right Mathilde. Anyone with a curious mind can and some IT skills could do this work. Google is currently producing some training films with  Eliot to train people in these skills. Which is great for the rest of us. Eliot does work very hard -- and he clearly loves doing it.

• Neville Thurlbeck Q & A Friday 31 January   11 weeks 16 hours ago

Thanks Ian.

• Neville Thurlbeck Q & A Friday 31 January   11 weeks 1 day ago

We'll record it, subject to agreement from Neville.

And the plan would be to make that available in some form - provided there are no legal difficulties with doing so.

• Neville Thurlbeck Q & A Friday 31 January   11 weeks 1 day ago

Will there be a podcast of this talk available?

• BBC Journalism Trainee Scheme now with extended deadline of 17 February   11 weeks 1 day ago

Im confident that you are eligible. I encourage you to apply.

Says that people studying 'Broadcast Journalism' are not eligible to apply... does that not include us?

• NCTJ production journalism exam, 25 January   12 weeks 2 days ago

Can the NIBs be rewrites of local/national stories by other news organisations? Also, can we use pieces we've had published?

• Where my women at?   12 weeks 2 days ago

While I’m pleased to hear that your particular newsroom is teeming with gender equality, it is not representative of newsrooms both domestically and internationally (the latest statistics of which were published merely six months ago by Pew Research Center).

I think (hope) you’ve misunderstood my argument. The issue is not that newsrooms are not hiring women. It’s that the number of women start in the profession starts out strong in the beginning and then fades noticeably as the years pass, and I believe part of that reason is perceptions of and reactions to women in the field. It is by no stretch of the imagination a call to hire female journalists purely because they are female.

My intention was not to imply that your female Head of Home News did not earn her position; it was to show that when women are promoted to high-ranking positions in large companies, that promotion is often subject to sceptical reportage by the media. This is not irrelevant or out dated, it happened two weeks ago when CNN covered Mary Barra’s rise to chief officer of General Motors. My position is not that women who are promoted do not deserve it, it’s that I am unsure how women who work in media are supposed to be able to speak with authority online when the media itself has no qualms undermining the work of successful women in other professions.

Personally, what I find to be the most egregious “insult to the successful journalists who just happen to be women” is when their career is defined by whether or not they are one of “The Top 40 Hottest Reporters in Sports” rather than the content they have produced, or when the response a thoughtfully written piece is crude Photoshop jobs and venomous rape references. (Articles on sexy lady reporters can be found on a monthly basis in a bevy of publications, and articles echoing my sentiments have been published in both The Atlantic and The New York Times in the past week.) Particularly online, our intellect is ignored while our bodies are considered a topic for public forum. That, I believe, extends far beyond an “infantile ‘they’re being mean to us’” mentality.

Tough skin is a requirement for working in news. We all know that. But having tough skin means pushing past ignorant, intensely personal insults without letting them affect your sense of self worth. Not sitting idly by and accepting that standard of treatment as “just how it is”.

• Mo Music Mo Problems   12 weeks 3 days ago

Just change it on the blog post?

• Mo Music Mo Problems   12 weeks 3 days ago

I Noticed a word missing in the sentence "But what’s the picture on the front of box?"

Should say "But what’s the picture on the front of the box?"

Sacking my subbing team right now.

• Gillingham’s hidden gem (yes I’m serious!)   12 weeks 3 days ago

Nice to see you sticking up for your home town Rikki ;)

But seriously though, there are some nice places if you look around!

• Where my women at?   12 weeks 4 days ago

I'm not a commenter - usually - but this is a really dated view of a non-existent gender disparity.

I'm currently sitting inside a newsroom and the ratio of ladies to gents is 11 to 9... unspectacular, what a shocker. Yet I can honestly say - even as a rookie - that the female Head of Home News standing next to me most definitely earned her high-ranking position legitimately.

Calling this... thing... an issue is a serious insult to the successful journalists who just happen to be women -- just as talking about lack of ethnic diversity in newsrooms is an insult to the journalists who just happen to come from racial minorities.

It degrades journalism into some kind of infantile "they're being mean to us" context which simply isn't true becuase when it comes to a profession which has no time for hesitation, and every organisation wants to the best people, there's no room for the kind of discrimination implied above.